Monday, January 31, 2011

Certificates

There is an abundance of information on birth, marriage and death certificates to aid research. I had a previous post which talked about Poppy who was married to Ted Hempkins for only 3 days before a bomb hit the shelter where they had taken cover although other family members had taken refuge in another shelter. Grateful thanks to William who has kindly sent me a copy of their marriage certificate which as well as the actual date of death has confirmed the correct spelling of Poppy's third forename and the occupation of her father at that time. It also tells me that Ted hailed form Liverpool.
After I noticed an entry on a burials index that I dind't have in my records I sent for the death certificate of Ida Hookins who died in South Wales. It turns out that she was only 4 months old when she died so wouldn't have found her way on to any census of the family. I was however able to place her in a family as it gives the parents' names and importantly the maiden name of the mother and as the family travelled between North West Somerset and South Wales it was good to be able to pinpoint her connection. One more person added to the database making the total number of individuals 1520.
I have been going through the 1911 Census and I am now just establishing if all the people that should be there are present and then trying to establish where they might be. They could be indexed as a slightly different name - a number of those claiming to be Hookins turn out to be more likely to be Hoskins or similar when the zoom is used on the monitor and it can work the other way around too.
Have had the chance to use Facebook on a few occasions to help clarify where people fit into the picture. Usually I am able to give quite a lot of information about whom I think the person is so that hopefully it will provide me with a response and that has helped me several times so it's good to use any tools we can to help with the research.

No comments: