Friday, February 4, 2011

Family of William Carl HOOKINS (Tree D)






William Carl HOOKINS married Sarah MONK in 1919 in West Ham and they had 3 sons together. The eldest on the left was Ronald William Nathaniel who was born in 1921 and died in 2001. He married Alma Sylvia COLLINSON in 1944 again in West Ham and in order no doubt to redress the male/female balance in the family had 3 daughters together all with christian names beginning with "S". (We also had 2 daughters with the same "S" initial too.)














The youngest son Victor Leslie is shown here. Victor was I believe in the Merchant Navy and I know he travelled to New York in 1946 on the Drakenburg Castle and again in 1947 on the English Prince. Although he married a Hendon girl they were married in what must have been a lovely setting at Yellowknife which is on the shores of the Great Slave Lake in North West Territories of Canada. Between 1962 and 1972 the couple were involved in the Malibu Club and spent future years returning there to assist with the work. Malibu is an evangelical resort for High School youth in the fiords about 100 miles north of Vancouver. There is no road access - everyone arrives by boat or seaplane - a great beginning for the young people who spend just one week at the camp. A picture of the setting is below and looks idyllic.



The couple also worked with YWAM and Victor's wife worked at the office when MV Anastasis was commissioned for Mercy Ships - the very ship which my daughter joined when she began her connection with Mercy Ships.

Later Victor and his wife settled in Chemainus on Vancouver Island but Victor sadly died in 2002 but it was good to have some connection with them both before that happened and to see that connection continue through contact with his wife.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victor's wife's name was Edna. Both Victor and Edna were a positive influence at Malibu. Very energetic, and a little unconventional which I appreciated. They stayed at the camp over the winters (at least in the 60's). One winter it was very cold and the diesel started to block up in the pipes-- the diesel was used to generate electricity.

I remember when I was about 15 overhearing Edna talking with another adult about how good it felt when she sold her heavy, large bedroom furniture-- that it made her feel much more free. At the time I didn't have any idea what she meant, but now that I am approaching retirement age, I can appreciate Edna's sentiment.

Bob Hookins said...

Thank you for this insight. I am aware that Neanie's correct name is Edna. I am in at least annual contact with her and I would love to know your identity so that I could mention you getting in touch.

Anonymous said...

Bob,
I didn't know Edna was nicknamed "Neanie".

My name is Beth Guislin, but back then I was known as "Bethie Wassenberg". I was at Malibu in summers of 1964 and 1965, (as a camper, and in 1966 (work crew). Then in 1969 as a volunteer college staff running the office-- radio telephone, mimeograph machine, etc.

I thought it was great that Young Life was open to folks who were not all cookie-cutter the same. Vic and Edna had a big influence on me, just from observing them. I liked their adventurous spirit, and I have had a life of adventure as well, with a career in global health and IT. And interest in traditional and western health care blending in tribal cultures. I sailed to French Polynesia, have sailed for 6 months in S.E. Asia, worked for 6 years in Thailand, also worked in west Africa.

Over the years I wondered what happened to Vic and Edna, and now thanks to the internet, I have learned more about them.

I doubt Edna would remember me-- I was one of hundreds of teenagers she met along the way. But please share my gratitude with her!

My email is beth.guislin@gmail.com. I live near San Francisco. Where do you live?

Thank you for publishing this blog.

Beth

Heng Look's Blog said...

Hi Bob
I realize this blog was written a few years ago but I was just thinking about Neanie Hookins and was wondering how she was doing. I knew her in the late 80s following a serious car accident that she was in. I actually never knew her as Edna. I was her physiotherapist at Shaughnessy rehabilitation center in Vancouver. She was such a lovely person with a strong faith that I admired. She became the only patient I ever treated that I kept in touch with but over the years lost contact with her. If she hopefully is still alive please let her know that she is still in my thoughts and I hope she is continuing to brighten the lives around her with her amazing faith and personality.
I also remember Vic with fondness and spent time with both of them a number of times.
Best regards,
Wendy Look (nee Gin)