Saturday, January 8, 2011

Deceased On-Line

Have just finished working my way through a few pages of Hookins burials from www.deceasedonline.com which has enabled me to add some information to the records of some individuals where I can clearly identify the people. Where there is some doubt it has prompted me to place the death record on to my list of certificates to order just so that I can make sure of those involved and perhaps get some more information from the certificate as well. Interesting exercise though and just another example of the increasing availability of information on the web. It is important however not to rely solely on information gathered in this way because it is only as good as the person who gathered it together and should be substantiated from other original sources for every transcription done provides another opportunity for errors to be made. Original source material can't be beaten in this respect.

No comments: