Saturday, January 22, 2011

Frank Bryan HOOKINS (Misc Tree)


One of the miscellaneous names I have linked to no-one else is Frank Bryan HOOKINS whom I had found listed as an acting Sub Lieut with Royal Navy/ Royal Navy Voluntary Reserve based at HMS Peregrine (formerly Royal Navy Airstation at Ford in Sussex - now an open prison recently in the news concerning rioting by prisoners). Frank was in 826 Squadron of the Fleet Air Arm which was formed in March 1940 as torpedo spotter reconnaissance using the Fairey Albacore aircraft (as above). Aircraft was lost on 21 Jun 1940 when operating from De Kooy airbase Den Helder NL. Frank was acting sub Lieut and died in that operation aged just 20 along with acting Lieut James L M Bell and Naval AIrman 1st class Robert G Poole - all buried at Texel (Den Burg) cemetery - Frank Plot k Row 1 Grave 9. Not sure yet if Frank was British but no record can be found in the UK of his birth in 1919/20. So although I know something about his service life he still remains linked to no-one else.

8 comments:

Colin said...

Frank Bryan Hookins was the son of Frank Woollatt Hookins and Emily May Bullen. He was, as far as I ascertain, born in 1919 in Newtownards, Down, Northern Ireland.

Bob Hookins said...

In Helens Bay, Newtownards on 28 Aug 1919
Bob

Tanzanite Jewellery said...

He was my great uncle. Brother to Joan Adelaide Hopkins, my paternal grandmother.

Bob Hookins said...

Thank you for your comment. Yes I have Joan Adelaide HOOKINS on my records born 20 February 1913, married John James Whishaw HAWKINS (known as Jack) in 1940 in Formby, (the year of her brother's death), and died in 2006 in Hounslow.
Best wishes
Bob Hookins

Unknown said...

Hello Bob, my grandmother, Joan Adelaide Hawkins (nee Hookins) died at St Mary's Convent, Burlington Ln, Chiswick, London W4 2QE - which was and still is a nursing home. We always called her "Pengers" :0)

Bob Hookins said...

Many thanks for that information. I am curious as to the origin of the nickname "Pengers"????????

Unknown said...

My grandmother was involved in a terrible car crash and recuperation was at Salisbury Hospital. Both her sons (my Dad, Bryan) and my uncle Jonathan said she was walking like a penguin 🐧 the nickname Pengers was born!!

Bob Hookins said...

Lovely anecdote (apart from the terrible car crash!) - thank you. I will be in touch with Jonathan shortly by Christmas card.