Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1911 Census

I've managed to print off a list of the people purported to have the HOOKINS name in the 1911 Census. They total 208 although looking through the listing I don't think some of them "belong to us" probably because the name has been transcribed incorrectly. I have just finished printing off the actual pages for the 1861 Census and some of the entries which are allegedly HOOKINS are names like HOSKINS as the "s" and "o" is sometimes difficult to decipher. Little excuse however for the entry which I found which was fairly clearly JENKINS!! Clearly there will be other HOOKINS people whose names have been transcribed as HOOKINGS/HUCKINS etc and further investigations will need to be done to ascertain the fate of those people who have seemingly disappeared since the 1901 Census.
Interestingly enough I've just had a quick look through the various Trees and I estimate that the name of HOOKINS people currently living according to my records is still about the same as in 1911. Obviously there have been births of new children and wives taking on the name which have been countered by deaths and those daughters who have married and taken another name so at least our numbers are holding steady to keep the name going.
Bob

No comments: