Monday, October 10, 2016

Tree A Thoughtful, Relevant and Connecting Gift with my Ancestors

At last I have managed to make the shortish trip to Somerset to visit the ancestral home of my paternal great-grandparents. It has been loving restored to replace many of the original features which had been removed or covered up by a previous owner. I have mentioned elsewhere on the blog the inclusion of Bridgwater Bricks in recognition of the work undertaken by my great grandfather locally.

The gifts I was given on my departure after my brief visit were unique and provided a special connection with the family who had lived there. The property itself was probably rented in the days of that family but adjacent to the property was a piece of land know as The Common. This was mostly surrounded by trees, one of which was a maple tree, which is now huge as it occupies that same position. The Common itself was covered with cowslips which were also frequently found in the country area of Somerset in which I had lived.

To be therefore given the gift of a sapling from that very maple tree and a cowslip plant from the old Common was a very special one which re-established, in a material way, the connection with the family who had occupied that house.

Thank you to Denise and Pete for all the care you have taken with the old homestead, your interest in preserving the Hookins legacy there and, of course, these simple but special gifts.

No comments: