Thursday, October 25, 2012

1871 Census

I have now completed my check through the 1871 Census noting all the references for HOOKINS of which there were 120 which is the sort of number usually found in the different Census returns. In addition there were another 80 with the HOOKINGS name some of which seem to have been transcribed incorrectly by the enumerator as they refer to people on the HOOKINS Trees. Others indexed under the name of HOOKINS seem to be HOSKINS - there are 11 of these some of which I have been able to check back to previous records to prove as incorrect.
Elizabeth, James, John, Sarah and William feature perhaps more than others.
Now I will start the process of recording each one so that I can show where each was living at Census time and then to establish who wasn't there who perhaps should have been. In doing this in another Census I found one indexed as ROOKINS - only one letter different but a mile away on the index!

No comments: