Tuesday, December 13, 2011

HOOKINS in the 1911 Census

I have just finished indexing the 1911 Census and of the 262 people transcribed on the Census website as HOOKINS I have found 26 who are HOOKINGS and 44 who appear to be HOSKINS. All of these are found in 81 different family units. Most of the HOSKINS names would not appear to be people connected to the HOOKINS name but some of the HOOKINGS people may well be just spelt incorrectly as I think some of them do fit in. So the total number of HOOKINS accounted for is going to lie somewhere between 192 and 218 which compares well with the number I put as an estimate of those currently holding the name. The good news therefore is that we are between us keeping the name going. Having fathered two daughters I realise that I am not properly pulling my weight so thanks to those of you who have contributed to the male line and therefore the continuance of the name.

No comments: