Thursday, November 10, 2011

Long Time No See is Really Not Good

Whilst it's good to keep in touch with everyone having and interested in the Hookins name, because of the numbers involved this gradually changed over the years from regular letters to letters more infrequently and latterly the good old Christmas "round-robin" newsletter. I've used this method with one particular person on my family tree who about 15 years ago provided me with a load of information which virtually doubled my records of our family tree overnight. So we have remained in touch but yesterday he actually knocked on my door as he was in the area and it was so good to seem him and his wife and it made me realise that this sort of contact is so much better than the annual newsletter. The way he found me in this town of 30000 people also shows it was meant to be. He just went into the Tourist Information office and asked if they knew where my road was whereupon someone piped up "I know someone who lives at No 6". My distant relation looked at his notes and replied "Not Bob Hookins?" to which the lady replied "Yes". Unfortunately my wife and I cannot match the description of the lady with anyone we know who might know our exact address and I should point out that you shouldn't bank on this approach when you visit Barnstaple - I really am not that notorious. I hope that I can find out who it is soon so that I can explain this mysterious blonde to my wife!!! But it was really great to see you B & M and hope you don't mind if you get to see us again if we're in your area.

No comments: