Thursday, September 22, 2011

Richard Southey HOOKINS (Tree 3Q)





I posted some information about Richard Southey HOOKINS on 15th August concerning his brief service in the Australian Navy Reserve. Another wonderful surprise has happened following that posting and I am greatly indebted to Susan from Sydney Australia who has made a fantastic addition to that posting including a photograph of Richard. The record with the photograph also provides more information to indicate that he was serving on HMAS Australia Leyte Gulf in the Philippines when the ship was hit by a Japanese suicide plane on 22nd October 1943. Six officers and 23 ratings were killed and her Commanding Officer Captain E F V Dechaineaux DSC later died of wounds. Richard was among the wounded and died the following day. He was just 18 years old and he was buried at sea. A tragic end to this young life and we honour his memory and his sacrifice. Thank you so much Susan for locating and providing this information.

6 comments:

daniel said...

Hello Bob
I am Richard ('Dick') Hookins' nephew. I live in Melbourne. I provided that photo and profile to the AWM. My mother, Eileen, was his older sister. There were two younger sisters Joan and Patricia, all of whom have now passed on.

Happy to communicate if interested:

danielcahir@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I am one of Susan's children and rememeber staying with "Aunt Eileeen".

Enough said.

Unknown said...

I am a son of Susan.

I don't think I am interested to communicate

Unknown said...

I visited Joan and she had her brothers photo on display before we even knew she had dementia.

My mother was Susan Patricia and it's offensive to denigrate what she did before Joan died.

Unknown said...

Daniel,

I have asked Susan (Joan's daughter and my mother) if this is true. If what you say is true it will be eliminated; or you will be.

Sam

Unknown said...

Daniel my mother is Susan (to Joan). Are you wanting to argue you supplied the photo of Richard?